Saturday, September 27, 2003

Whew!

What a week this was! I thought that I'd definitely be posting to the blog more this week...oh yeah!

What's that saying, things happen while you're making plans? Damn right!!

Finally got to interview Miss K______________. There was so many last minute cancellations, misunderstandings etc., that I was beginning to feel like one of those characters in an Animal Planet show...I mean I felt like I was stalking Miss K______ through the veldt with a dart gun. Anyway, interview went off without a hitch! Whee, and I now have 8, yup count 'em 8 pages of transcripts on which to build my piece. Not bad, if I say so for myself.

Transcribing is the hardest part of the gig. You sit there, hitting rewind every 30 seconds (or less) trying to type as fast as the person is speaking, never works out that way. It's time consuming and boring. I'd much rather hold my recorder to the computer, hit play, walk away and come back to something that typed itself.

Was going to interview a band, but that fell through, maybe next month? Ah, the vagaries of rock n'roll.

I have to say as a writer, I'm a fabulous procrastinator. Today, went online and was planning to do some research, and started fooling around with my windows media player. I'm always looking for cool Internet radio stations. I once found one that played nothing but Irish drinking songs, I loved it. Went back and they had flown off into the ether.

My musical tastes are pretty diverse, I'll listen to and enjoy everything from renaissance choral works to Robert Fripp. I usually fall back on electronica--everything from trance to Industrial, and I love working out to aggro music (note to self--find my way back to the gym)...yeah I can go off on a tangent, anyway, my point, and yes there is one here, is that I found a really cool Internet radio station gaydar radio. It's a UK Internet radio station, www.gaydarradio.com and I've been listening to it all day. Lots of brilliant dance music etc., and when you're trapped in front of the computer, at least you can pretend you're dancing.

Dancing...ah, bringing me to a fav topic BOYS Now it's also been a weird week in boytown. One minute, I've got a bunch of boys clamoring to go out with me, and the next...oops! They've popped off into the wayside. For sanity's sake, I'll only use nicknames.

Ahem, Chef calls me twice this week, just to chat, I'm on the other end of the phone thinking "are you gonna ask me out or what??!!" Nope. But I get a voicemail 8:30 PM, Friday night wanting to know if I'd meet Cheffie for a drink. NOT.

Okay, first and foremost NEVER EVER EVER ASK A WOMAN OUT AT THE LAST MINUTE! GOT THAT Okay? It's not going to happen. Esp. if you don't know her very well. By Friday, most people have plans, and if they don't it's 'cause they want it that way. If a chick jumps at going out with a guy last minute, she's desperate. That you want to stay away from, far far away. If a boy asks a girl out last minute (a) either his plans fell through or (b) he's desperate. Neither is a good thing to hook up with, 'kay?

There is nothing on this earth worse than the smell of of Eau De Desperation. It's not pretty. Doesn't smell good and makes the average person want to run screaming into the night. To be on the safe side, I think it's best if a woman wears low heels on a first date. That way, if the boy is wacky, you can always run (very quickly) into the first cab, go home, be safe, then chortle to your friends on the phone about the horror.

Anyway, TV boy madly persued me madly via phone and email, never pinned me down for a date then whoosh! Gone. I'm sorry, what was I supposed to do? He's going on and on about doing stuff, I'm agreeing, and then doesn't pony up with a genuine date. Please.

Software boy claimed that he wanted to take me to the park and drink champagne at dusk. Not bad. Never happened.

Math boy got tossed into the dustbin. Well, if you're going to call me at 1 am, not give your name, then try to have phone sex with me and all we've done is stoop kissed, c'mon. Yeesh. How can you have phone sex without having sex with someone first. I mean, you have no idea what they look like naked. And you have no idea if you're good together. Maybe he thought it would be cheaper than a 1-900 line?

Hmm, I think there were a few other boys, but I've forgotten them. Guess they didn't make an impression.

There's always ilex boy. Sigh. Ilex boy. Nothing going on there. However, I'm beginning to feel like I'm back in high school. I'm so not going there. He has fabulous ilex (ilexi??) sigh. STOP that.

Wine boy finally got the hint that I was not going out on a second date with him. The first date, he takes me to a nifty French bistro on Park Ave, near the Gramercy Park area. Orders a lot of splits (he's doing most of the drinking) and then wants me to give him $25.00 for the bill. THEN, he pays for it with his Visa. Oh yeah, I want that. Yeah, I want that right now.

Dating is a war of attrition. It really is. You date a number of boys and whittle them down to a smaller group, until and eventually you want to be with one. I believe that's how the theory works.

Me? I go out on a lot of first dates. It's very rare that I'll go on a second date with the same boy. When you get experiences like Wine Boy or Cardboard Boy, you really don't want to see them again.

Cardboard Boy--never changed the inflection of his voice or the expression of his face. I think that's enough to describe that date.

Funny, the boys that make me nuts (not in a good way) are the ones that want me. The boys that make me nuts (in a good way) either (a) I've tossed into the dustbin, due to way too much emotional baggage or (b) not interested in me.

C'est La Vie, C'est La Guerre.

What do I want? It's really simple. I want a boy I can laugh with, talk with, someone who has a brain and can talk about a variety of subjects. A boy who can jump from low humor to oh, say the Opera. A boy who isn't afraid to be silly. A boy who can dance and kiss. A boy who not only gives me that visceral tug, but, whoa nelly a pull too!

I know, I know.

Look, I'm pretty, I'm smart, I can dance,I can kiss, I'm well read, don't eat crackers in bed, thin, okay, I've been told I'm a hottie (that makes me sound like camping equipment. C'mon guys it's raining, but we can fire up the hottie and have a bonfire and smores in no time!) And I'm picky as hell.

If I'm gonna get naked with a boy, he's got to get my brain wet besides my panties.

I am tired of being told that I'm intimidating. Good lord, I'm 5 2 1/2, 112 pounds. If it's really windy, I get slammed into buildings. I am not (physically) intimidating. I won't play dumb. I won't kiss ass to get some either. T'aint worth it.

Well we'll see what happens this week. There may be hope for Chef and who knows what the professor will do? Always liked a prof who had tattoos!