Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Stupid, stupid, stupid

Oh I am annoyed. Can you tell by the heading? I had two amazingly stupid conversations today.

Number one--went to the post office to mail off some stuff, the counter guy writes "SAM" on the envelope, I look at it and quip, "Surface to Air Missile?" So he starts quizzing me on what does RAM, AAM and other initials mean. I'm going on and on about ICBM's etc., He looks at me and says, "How does a girl know these things? This is not girl stuff."
"EXCUSE ME!"
"Well, it's not girl stuff."
"Who said so? Look I wanted to go to the academy."
"You wanted to go to the academy?"
"What's wrong with that? I wanted to learn how to fly fast and blow up things. You gotta problem with that?"


I'm not even going to continue, but I think you get the idea.

next stupid convo...

had coffee with a fellow writer. Talking about our books, history etc., At one point fellow writer asks me if I've ever personally (okay this is an important word) personally thought about topic of book. I think and said nope. But I do think that there's a definite market for it. In fact, I added, I think it would attract many different types of readers.

Later on in the convo I'm told that I have spent the better part of the exchange "slamming the book," direct quote here. WHAT? Just because in my personal life I have never thought about the subject?? I sat there and said exactly that and said if I was "slamming the book" why would I even bother to say that there's a big market for it? Do people listen or what? I'm sorry I didn't lie and say that I think about it 24-7, but I don't and don't get mad at me because I don't. the writer has a contract which means that a house actually thinks it will attract an audience, I think it will attract an audience even if I'm not thinking about it.

Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, is happening May 1 and 2. Oh do I want someone to send me there to cover it. The lineup is fantastic.

Have finished the overview and now working on the rest of the proposal. This calls for massive amounts of chocolate.