Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Got a very nice email from a prospective editor today, so I braved the cold and hunted down the magazine. Only took four stores before I stumbled into a Barnes & Noble and found it. Gorgeous, glossy mag. Interesting stories and great photos. I now have to wait until Mon or so to find out if I'll be writing for them.

Am beginning to sympathize with the Luddites again. This usually occurs when I'm trying to do some technical thing. Any technical thing if I want to be accurate. Whenever a gizmo I'm dealing with isn't doing exactly what I want it to, I have visions of tossing it or them out of the apt. windows (the side street one to be accurate-it's got a great view of the sidewalk), and counting how many times it bounces up and down.

My latest annoyance is trying to figure out how to get a comment option working on this damn site. I went to, I think 3 or 4 of the ones that were recommended by Blogger and did exactly what the instructions said to do and nothing works. The last site I went to, Comment this! looked the easiest. I copied and pasted the code into the watchamacallit and now you can see a comment line, but you can't add one. Now time to bang head on monitor. I only wish I knew what the hell I was doing.

Got a bit ambitious in the kitchen tonight. Sometimes I'll create a pretty good meal and sometimes it's a lab experiment gone wrong. Tonight I threw together some leftover Beaujolais Nouveau, chicken stock, garlic and pork chops. Not too shabby, but I'm going to have to adjust the cooking time.

Am having the strangest time with my post on Craigslist.com. I put up a post a few days ago stating that I was looking for exceptional teens ( it's mentioned elsewhere in the blog) and have been getting flagged. So I email Craig and he puts it back up. Today it got flagged six times between the hours of 10 am to 11 am. It stayed up until 10 pm,then got flagged again. I hope whoever keeps doing this gets a really bad case of athlete's foot. And I mean a really bad one. The only positive to come out of this mess is that I'm getting to know Craig and he seems like a super guy.

More snow. Looks like most of the schools in the city have been closed. I've got an early appointment in SOHO and am wondering if I should go or just stay in bed.

All the falling snow reminds me of my second date with R. We were out wandering around in this heavy snow that made the city look like Alaska. Went bowling, wandered some more and ended up in this little bar in Alphabet City playing scrabble.

For the record I'd like to state that my former Boss at Del Rey Books is probably one of the most kindest, patient, compassionate, intelligent and fantastic people in publishing.

I've sent him emails occasionally asking him for advice regarding my book proposal. It's been (and still) is a confusing and hard road for me. Hey, I never thought I could sit still long enough to write one, let alone fiction. Steve has taken time to explain things and let me know what's right and wrong in doing one. I am in awe of him and will never be able to thank him enough for all his time and patience.

I'm still a little in awe of myself for pulling it off. Well, I haven't pulled it off yet, I just can't believe I wrote one. If it hadn't been for my wonderful and dear friend Stefanie, who believed in me, gave me encouragement, advice and listened to my fears, I don't think I could have done it.

Now the thing is to finish the proposal and send it out to agents. Yeah, I am aware that I wrote that I had done most of it, but I am still tinkering with the overview section. I wish there was a book fairy. Just like the tooth fairy, instead you'd put your manuscript under your pillow and you'd wake up with a contract instead of the quarter your mom gave you for the tooth. Oh sorry, I meant tooth fairy *grin*


Thinking about the weather, I'm supposed to go to a showcase tomorrow night at Fez for this singer, Toby Lightman tomorrow night. I wonder if it'll be cancelled. Toby's debut CD Little Things" will be released on March 30th. Her single Devils and Angels" charted after ONLY 5 days on radio. She's an MTV "Artist To Watch in 2004" and I'm anxious to hear her live. I'd also like the postman to stop hiding the CD and fork it over.

Kate may have an agent for her dog Flynn. Or as I call him the Famous Magical Mystical Flynn. He looks like a stuffed animal. Has extremely long legs and is more photogenic than Heidi Klum. Pretty soon I'll have to ask for his pawtograph.

The quitting smoking thing is not working well. I was doing pretty well and now it's out of hand again. Every day I hear on the news that smoking is worse for women, and I'm really upset at myself. I think I need to be put in a deprivation tank for a month to quit properly.