Saturday, January 17, 2004

Just got asked to join another blog "Memories I Had Forgotten," http://ihadforgotten.blogspot.com/ where you can scribble memories that have popped into your head. Old forgotten ones seem to pop in my head at the strangest times. Sitting in the subway, walking down a street, taking a shower--I guess it's when you're not preoccupied with the daily tasks your mind takes a quick journey down memory lane. Then it decides to startle you by reminding you of embarrassing moments et al. Like when I had my skirt tucked into my pantyhose all day in 8th grade and no one told me. Can we say, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGh"
Yup, I knew we could.

Had two very illuminating conversations about work yesterday. The first was about book proposals. I had been chatting with this woman who gas 9 count 'em 9 books out (that's enough to make me dizzy) about proposals and what you have to do etc., and in the space of twenty minutes she gave me great ideas, lots of wonderful insight and explained stuff to me that had me freaking out. She suggested that I should explain the book to my cat, then rewrite the overview section. Alison said that you've got to dumb it down, then gussy it up. So, a few deep breaths and back into the fray.

Other convo--met my rep at a creative agency I'm attached to, went over my prof site http://pjgach.tripod.com and made some revisions to make it more marketable.

The trick is to think of yourself as a product, not a person and market the crap out of yourself. Sounds easy, but execution can be another thing.

There's a blog I like reading, it's written by a Brit living in NYC "Wishful Thinking in New York" http://uknyc.blogspot.com/ . Some of his adventures are pretty funny--check out his SOHO House saga, or read his takes on some of the restaurants here. Reading his blog I realized that he goes to Doma in the West Village. Not only do I go there, but I have friends who practically live there. It's funny that he and I and other NYC blog writers could all be drinking coffee in the same place at the same time and be completely clueless that we're all under the same roof.

It's the joys of the Internet. You can "know" everyone and be a total stranger in reality.

Have to write up some cosmetic product reviews. Will be road testing some lipsticks from various brands. Good excuse to kiss someone.

It's another frigid day in NYC and I need to do stuff, but the jammies are too damn comfortable and my house is warm.

Been thinking, I like the idea of Winter. I like looking at snow from the inside. Going out and having to deal with it is another story.