Saturday, September 25, 2004

The weather was glorious today, breezy, not too hot and lots of lovely sun. Perfect for running around and doing errands. I was everywhere, Upper East Side, Midtown and then the Village. I felt like taking advantage of the weather and grabbing a bite to eat at a sidewalk cafe. Pretty soon it's just going to get too cold to sit and watch the sidewalk parade. Found a place on MacDougall, a restaurant that's been around forever, "The Olive Tree." Relaxed, ate my burger, read my biography of Sarah Churchill, eavesdropped on a couple sitting next to me; she-"you know there's a lot of things about you I don't like either." He-unintelligible and lots of nodding. She-"this is great hot borscht." He-nods more. She-"You know I don't think I'm cut out for relationships". Then they continue to eat.
Anyway, I'm finished ad look for the waiter, he finally shows up and I ask for the bill. Another year goes by and he returns with it, then rushes off. When he deigns to come outside again, I give him my credit card. An insane amount of time passes. I get the couple to watch my packages and go inside to find out what's taking so long. Guess what he's doing? Having lunch with friends.