Friday, April 30, 2004

It's Friday and I've got worked piled up, yet am having problems getting motivated. This probably explains why I'm here instead of transcribing interview tapes.


Checked out Bulldog the other night at Southpaw in Brooklyn. Got there fine, watched the show, the band has a blues rock flavor that called to mind an updated version of The Band, Buffalo Springfield with a lot of southern rock/blues thrown in. Not my particular cup of musical tea, but that genre is like a lot of the other 70's music that's coming back. There is a resurgence of 70's musical sensibilities right now. I guess we're done mining the late 80's early 90's for musical influences. Bulldog is a tight band, they've a strong stage presence and will probably do very well.

When I left the club, made one of my fabulous wrong turns and got amazingly lost. I'm the only person trotting about Brooklyn--streets were deserted--have a couple of beers, so I'm also loopy. This is not a winning combo when you want to go home and have no clue where you are. I knew I was somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere but that was about it. Finally found a subway. I wanted to jump for joy when I saw the giant blue "M," wrong subway and yup, took me two hours to get home. Did I mention that when I took the right subway to the club it only took me 45 minutes?

Next time I leave Manhattan, I'm leaving a string trail to backtrack my way home.

Nothing new on the boy front, except that when it comes to boys lately, I'm irritated with the gender in general. As much as I enjoy them, they befuddle me, annoy me and make me want to start wishing for a third sex to deal with instead of them.

It's not that I don't enjoy being single, I do enjoy it. I vaguely remember what it was like to be in a relationship and have to "check in" with someone before you did something on your own, with friends etc., and the feeling of being yoked into something always made me feel a tad antsy. Yeah, I know you have to compromise when you're involved with someone, but the idea of saying, "honey I'm going to do..." Made me feel that I was back in grade school and had to get permission to go to the loo. I like autonomy.

I'm not one of those girls who feel lost without a boyfriend. I do think I'd enjoy being involved with someone.

I'm just a bit cranky today and feel very curmudgeonly right now.

Possibly has to do with a boy who insisted I go to a show this week and then didn't bother to show up. Okay, I wouldn't do that to a friend, or an acquaintance or if you think about anybody. That's just too damn rude. Dumb me, thought we were friends too. Yeesh. And I know if I bump into said boy a week or two from now, boy will act as if nothing ever happened. Whereas, I'd have fantasies of smacking him over the head with something or dumping a drink on said boy's head.

If this was a girl type friend instead of a boy type friend, I think I'd do what I'm doing now--that's just writing them off my list of people I know.

Why is it that no matter how old you get, you still have that lingering feeling of high school?

Did get a postcard from Ivan and Roxanne from Dollywood! Yay!

Am off to a CD release party tonight with Katy. Should be fun.

The rest of the day and weekend is writing, writing, writing.